Sunday, March 10, 2013

GF Italian Style Rolls with Quinoa Flakes

I wanted to make bread today in my bread maker and to my dismay, my paddle was put away in a place I evidently don't recall ever putting it--maybe I'll find it someday----

Course correction, checked out my box of Better Batter for ways to substitute Better Batter ( My Favorite GF blend to date) in a more traditional style bread recipe--I learned that but much more--this amazingly simple recipe for Italian rolls.  It called for Cornmeal as optional--I opted for Quinoa flakes as I am corn sensitive.  I followed the recipe otherwise verbatim and was very happy with the result  I used a Silpat and sprayed the remainder of the cookie sheet as instructed ( no silpat instructions) I didn't notice a difference using the silpat or not.  Below is the recipe from the Better Batter Box:

Preheat Oven to 450*   Grease a cookie sheet, sprinkling cornmeal or Quinoa flakes and set aside.  In the bowl of an electric stand mixer, mix together 1 pk of Active Dry yeast and 2 1/2 C of warm water.  Let sit for 5 minutes.  After 5 minutes add 1 1/1 tsp salt and 3 1/2 C of Better Batter Gluten Free Flour and beat on high speed on stand mixer for 4 minutes.  Spoon the batter onto the cookie sheet in 1/2 C scoops, smoothing the top with a spatula or ( as I used) wet hands.  Brush the tops lightly with an egg beaten light ly with a Tbsp of water.  Let rise for 15-25 minutes ( I did it for 25) then bake for 20-30 minutes ( I baked for 20-ovens vary)

Yield depends on size, I made 9 nice size rolls although I could have made them a tad bit smaller, they are filling and delicious!  

All in all I am very pleased with how these rolls came out--I've already eaten one and want another :) 


No comments:

Post a Comment